In this post, I’ll talk about how to set up your site in Google Webmaster Tools. In subsequent posts, I’ll look at the reports available in Google Webmaster Tools.
To add a site to Google Webmaster Tools, do the following:
2. Login with your Google account.
3. Type in your site (starting with http://) into the text box and click on the OK button.
4. Google will show you some initial information it has on the site, such as whether pages from this site are included in Google’s index, and the date Googlebot last accessed your home page.
5. Click on the “Verify your site” link to verify that you are the owner of the site.
6. There are two ways to verify: Add a meta tag to the site’s homepage (Google will tell you what the meta tag should look like), or upload a HTML file to the site’s root directory (Google will tell you the file name to use). Choose your method, and you’ll be given directions to set up properly.
7. Once you have either added a meta tag to the site’s homepage, or upload a HTML file to the site’s root directory, you can click on the “Verify” button. You don’t need to do this right away — you can always come back later when you are ready.
8. You may also submit a sitemap to Google. To add a sitemap, click on the “Add a Sitemap” link for the site after you log in to Google Webmaster Tools.
9. Next, select whether you are submitting a regular web sitemap or a mobile sitemap.
10. Specify the location of the sitemap in the textbox.
11. Before you click on the “Add Web Sitemap” button, you’ll then generate a sitemap for your site. A simple way to generate a sitemap is covered in an earlier article titled Creating a Simple Google Sitemap. Once it’s generated and uploaded to your site, click on the “Add Web Sitemap” button.
12. That’s it. In the next post, I’ll take a look at the reports you can see in Google Webmaster Tools.