Japanese Web Page Not Rendering in IE6





I had been working on some web pages in Japanese, and found some of the pages showed up blank in IE6. This was quite strange for a couple of reasons:

1. The same pages rendered ok in Firefox, Opera, and even IE7.

2. When I do a “view source”, I can see the full HTML code. So, IE6 can see the code, but it just refuses to render it at all.

I searched the internet to see if someone else has posted about this before, but to my chagrin, the answer was no (at least not in English). So, I decided to examine the page one element at a time. Eventually, I was able to narrow it down to the <title> tag:� When the title tag contained only single-byte characters, the page rendered ok; but if I add Japanese characters to the title, the page wouldn’t render.

As it turned out, the way to fix this is to leave a space between the last Japanese character and the closing title tag. It was surprising because I worked with other double-byte languages before, and had never seen this requirement. This was probably due to some Japanese-specific IE6 bug that got fixed in IE7.

Tags: Tags: ,