The Heartbleed bug has been all over the media this week. The reason it’s generating so much buzz is because of its potential large impact. Many large websites have this vulnerability, so pretty much everyone needs to change some, if not all, of their passwords to minimize the impact.
Many websites have come out and said that they have seen no evidence of any access or data breach. However, according to Codenomicon, the organization that announced this vulnerability, an attack may not leave any trace. Therefore, consumers have been warned to change their passwords just to be on the safe side.
There are several lists (list 1 and list 2) out there that show which websites were affected, and which ones were not. I was glad to see that Paypal and my financial institutions were not impacted. However, I did see that Yahoo was affected, and likely Google (Google announced that there is no need to change the Google Account password, though many experts still recommend that you do so) as well. All internet users should check now to see if they need to change the password to any site that they login to.
Here is the browser market share for March 2014, based on traffic to my top site (number in parentheses shows change from February 2014):
Google Chrome: 47.47% (+0.17%)
IE: 23.57% (+0.39%)
Firefox: 21.66% (-1.08%)
Safari: 3.45% (+0.25%)
Opera: 1.01% (+0.08%)
I recently took a trip to Tokyo, and I want to share my experience of the trip, which hopefully can be of use to some people.
Google Map Directions
First, I will say that Google Map directions will get you to the vicinity of where you want to go without any problem. If you use the “by Public Transit” option, it will show you the correct routes to take and the correct station to get off.
However, there are two problems:
Here is the browser market share for February 2014, based on traffic to my top site (number in parentheses shows change from January 2014):
Google Chrome: 47.30% (+2.66%)
IE: 23.18% (-1.42%)
Firefox: 22.74% (-1.81%)
Safari: 3.20% (+0.37%)
Opera: 0.93% (-0.07%)
Making sure a website renders optimally on various device screen sizes via responsive design is a satisfying exercise for a website developer, and I went through this exercise recently. Of course, I ran into my share of bugs during the process. Below are 3 of the issues I ran into and what (if anything) can be done about them.
The new gTLD’s (generic top-level domains) are now a reality, with the first batch of new gTLD’s going live within the last week. There are 7 new gTLD’s that are available on the web now:
How is the adoption so far? Out of the 7, .GURU appears to be the most interesting, so that’s the one I took a look. As of today (February 5, 2014), there are 22 .GURU domains indexed by Google, 4 of which can be considered as a complete site:
Here is the browser market share for January 2014, based on traffic to my top site (number in parentheses shows change from December 2013):
Google Chrome: 44.64% (-1.25%)
Firefox: 24.60% (+1.16%)
IE: 24.55% (+2.22%)
Safari: 2.83% (-0.10%)
Opera: 1.00% (+0.01%)
Recently I went through the process of converting several websites into responsive design. For those who are not familiar, the concept of responsive design is to make sure the website renders nicely on both desktop and mobile devices by serving up different CSS stylesheets depending on the screen width.
Below are the steps I took to convert the sites (the starting point is a non-mobile optimized website):
1. Add the following code into the <head> section:
<meta name=”viewport” content=”width=device-width, initial-scale=1, maximum-scale=1, minimum-scale=1″ />
This statement will make sure the website renders correctly on your mobile device.